Monday, July 20, 2009

I Still Live at Home

I'm quite comfortable with the above phrase. Of course, when I moved to college I liked calling Nashville home. It wasn't the house I was born in, the only one I've ever lived in. My mail still went there and collected on my mom's desk. Beginning Friday, I don't live at home anymore. I'll still be in Dirty Mo most of the time until my nanny duties are complete. But come August 14th I am free to live in my blessed little retro apartment. When I first signed the lease for it I was more relieved at having a place to live than excited about living there. Boone is a college town. The University is the town basically. That means a lot to do and a lot of people to meet. And now that I think about it a free bus service all over town. Consequently, apartments are small and very scarce. At the eleventh hour, however, God shone a light on this little two story complex. Overly dramatic? I think not. I called tons of management companies and complex offices only to be told there was no "room in the inn". Now here I am. My belongings are mostly packed minus clothing and sitting in cardboard boxes all around my *mom's house*. Understandably this is hard for her. This makes two people that have been thrust out of her home in the last year. Given, I will return. This weekend some of the wonderful, giving men from our church are going to drive a U-Haul up and load and unload all my crap. Lord, Bless them. If not for them my move would be incredibly slow and rather painful for the Mini. I'm excited to have a new start. Beginning college is a new start. It takes you away from home and for most people out of your comfort zone. I grew a lot as a person and as an individual in my time at Belmont. I truly believe that I probably wouldn't be prepared to set out on my own if I hadn't gone to school 7 hours from home the first time around. I have the kind of parents that if you asked enough, at the right time, in the right voice (either all together or any individual circumstance) whatever you needed or wanted would be taken care of. When in Nashville, I made the car repair appointments. I decided when and what to buy. When I came home it was easy to fall back into the child role. The dependent. I'm sure there will be many times in the next year or so that I try to crawl back into that safe box. But life won't let me now and that is a good thing. So look at me go. I'm on my own. I even have my own home phone number. (It's the little things.)

No comments: