Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ending the Drought

It has been nearly a month since I blogged last. You could interpret the meaning to be that my life was too busy to allow for it or too boring to create anything to say. I'm going to concede to some combination of the two. Here I am sitting in the ASU library. It is my last full week of classes. Right now my mind is preoccupied with the debate I am forced to take part in at 6pm. I have a partner, who should be here soon, which I don't know very well. Actually, we've only seen each other in class and communicated via email. Yes. I admit the 21st century has robbed me of what few people skills I had. My general rule is to avoid speaking as much as possible. I take that back. My goal is to be noticed as little as possible. That does not always keep me from speaking here and there when I have something to share. That isn't often, but that isn't the point. (Seth just called and for some reason when I pressed the answer key it sent him to voicemail. So...I called back and left an awkward message describing my current location in the library....it begins.)
I am enough of a nerd to enjoy college classes. I took this night class simply because it interested me. Our debate tonight is between three teams of two: Neo-Lamarckians, Cuvierian Special Creationists, and Darwinians. I much prefer to sit back and watch the sparks instead of causing them or getting burned by them. (Contact made. He will be here "very shortly then." He seems nice enough. Maybe there will be no heart attacks or social strokes involved.) Anyway...back to the class. My father instilled the value of knowledge very early. I was not allowed to use a calculator because my brain was all I needed. (Seth is here. He is gone to print a few things. It relieves the stress to share with you my current events.) I was also inspired by my dad to know everything about everything. Whether it was something he supported or opposed, believed or denied, Daddy seemed to know the subject in-depth. My brother is very similar in his ripe old age....thirties. I like to be able to pull my own weight during family gatherings. Point in case I signed up to sit in class for 3 hours of my life every Tuesday night to learn. We are documenting the rise of evolution in its many forms and eventually the rise of creationism as its opponent. I want to understand the things I believe. I want to know why I believe them. Most importantly, I want to believe them because I think they are true and not just because someone told me.

So on to the education half of my afternoon. Two weeks from now I will officially be done with Appalachian. It is bittersweet in that I can no longer slack off and blame it on unhappiness. The sweet part is that in a month I will be in the process of settling in a lovely West End apartment with Kindall and hopefully returning to the way I think my life should be.

No comments: