Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

Today, along with the rest of the world, I watched Barack Obama be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States. I didn't vote for him. I don't agree with all his policies. However, this morning he became our commander in chief. Sure all us McCain supporters were disappointed. But that was November! There are many people from earlier generations with much different mindsets than mine. For instance, my grandmother is completely against a Black man in office. Why? There is no difference between us, not on the inside. I believe that Obama has our best interests at heart and I think he will implement the tough policies that are needed to save our nation. There are a lot of people in my southern town who are republican and white down to the core. I've heard a lot of comments from a lot of people that I didn't expect. Barack Obama is our president. He deserves our respect and desperately needs our support and prayers. I'm so happy to have a president and first lady who are not afraid to hug and kiss their children and kiss each other in public. They are much more openly loving and supportive of each other than previous presidents. I find that very refreshing. This is a day I will tell my grandchildren about and I hope and pray that they will find it hard to believe that this was such a big deal. I hope their world is much improved, inside and out.
I pray that God will protect President Obama each and every minute. Give him the wisdom to make the tough decisions and the courage to stand up for what is right. Lead America in the way that you would have her go. We are "one nation under [you]". Help us to remember that. Help us to also remember September 11, 2001 and all everything those in uniform are fighting for. Be with each soldier at home and abroad and their families. Bless them for their dedication to America.

Hail to the Chief

No comments: