Wednesday, June 3, 2009

21st Century Darlings

I've heard two stories that have deeply affected me in the past 24 hours. One hits close to home and the other not so much. First, yesterday my aunt told me that one of my cousin's (who is my age) classmates overdosed. Then, first thing this morning one of my best friends from childhood called to tell me she is pregnant.
It is easy to be consumed in a fortress of peace and grace. The people I spend most of my time with are well grounded young adults. Their faith is in Christ and their eyes on His path. Every once and a while something from the real world manages to penetrate my bubble of ignorance. First the young man who took his own life is a cry for help from our generation. There are far too many of us left to find our own way with little to no guidance from anyone, much less God. I often forget that not everyone is blessed with a happy and peaceful home with loving Christian parents and a supportive home church. These things have and continue to shape my life, but where would I be without them? Would I be jumping from guy to guy hoping to find the love I never received at home?
These young people ARE at fault for their actions. I firmly believe that society and Christians also play a part. I know that I don't reach out to the people around me as I should. I know that I don't wear my faith on my sleeve. Don't get me wrong I don't think "turn or burn" is the right approach or shoving a Bible in their face.
As much as I think about prevention I think the same is true after the fact. My parents are conservative and they aren't completely tolerant. Tolerance is a whole other blog. Where are the open doors for the drug addicts and young mothers? Where are the open doors for the gay community and Muslims? If we expect these people to believe as we do they must first see it in action. It begins with an individual saying "hello, how are you?". Conversation leads to action.
If I feel so strongly why don't I do something? I think God may be leading me in that direction. All I can do is wait and see.

No comments: