Monday, June 22, 2009

"I'll Think About That Tomorra"

Tomorrow is the day my mom has surgery to finally correct her back issues. She was convinced it was going to be a long drawn out process to be healed. She planned for a month to get an appointment to see the doctor. A month to schedule the surgery. And judging from previous experience, two months to recover. Low and behold, she saw the surgeon last Wednesday and surgery is tomorrow. Estimated recovery time: 2 weeks. Hooray! She is so deserving of a miracle. She has waited and wondered why and why not. She has pondered why God let her husband die young and her lay for months and suffer. I truly believe tomorrow is the answer to her prayers. Her son and daughter will be there to hold her hand and her pastor there to pray for her. And her husband looking down on her.
Something changes when you loose a parent. Whether they admit it or not I think everyone becomes more attached to the surviving parent. It sounds horrible, but before you loose one there is a safety net. Like maybe that is why God gives parents in twos. There is a backup plan in case of emergency. But when you are down to one there is no plan b. Only the here and now. I worry about my mom more now. If something happens, she is all I have. The first week after my dad died I didn't want her to leave my sight. It was like being in preschool again. I told her I was worried about something happening to her. She said, "God's not going to take both of us from you". We both know he didn't "take" Daddy, but I understood her point. I have to believe that is still the case. God knows what I can bear. He knows what she can bear. For us He keeps her safe and for her He keeps Jamie and I safe.
Please say a prayer for my mom tomorrow and in the coming weeks. This is a new start for her, for me, for our family. One more hurdle crossed. One more crisis conquered. One more praise to offer.

No comments: