Monday, February 23, 2009

Death, Alcohol, and Music

Yesterday I got a call that my friend's aunt died. It was a shock on multiple levels. First, she is my friend's aunt and her dad is now the only living sibling. Her uncle died when we were in high school from injuries he sustained in a car accident. Second, she took pictures of three friends and I for Kayla's (her niece) graduation gift. One of them is us on the hood of an old Mooresville school bus. It really captures our friendship. Jada was my best friend before life basically, but Cassie and Kayla I met in school and they are all some of my closest friends. They are the group I plan to travel cross country with! Third, and perhaps most devastating is that she died suddenly. Someone walked in on her, just like I walked in on my dad. She struggled with migraines which makes aneurysm a fairly good guess...what Daddy died of. This may seem like a cheap and irreverent metaphor, but when you buy a new car you notice all of those on the road around you and you feel like everyone copied you. In reality these people did not decide to make a huge purchase because of your uncontrollable influence on their life (Kindall couldn't even make me buy a car and I don't think I could talk her into one). I am suddenly quite aware of every death due to brain hemorrage and it is overwhelming. Come to find out my mom's great grandmothers on her mother's side both died of them. My message to everyone on earth: HAVE AN MRI!!!

Moving on to Alcohol, a friend of mine took the weekend and got trashed. This does not move me to tears or anger, but it weighs heavy on my mind. It didn't happen accidentally. He drove from Raleigh to Western Carolina with the intention of becoming incoherent at some point during the weekend. What does this accomplish? I am not opposed to having a couple drinks every now and then. If you can't pee on your own (he couldn't so he says) there is a problem. Furthermore, why would you tell anyone? Does this make you proud? Do you earn a purple heart for drunkeness? I think not. I have recently experienced alcohol for the first time. I did it for the thrill I guess. Keep in mind, my "experience" was several sips of a mixed drink, but still. Eventually, I had to confess to Jada haha. But you never know what will happen when me and Kayla "go out"...

Finally, the happiest of all the subjects. Music is my passion. I have said many times that I eat, sleep, and breathe music and I do. I have a lot of qualms with the music industry and the many divisions that exist within it. I'm toying with the idea of starting a separate blog to release my angst. Blogging is the least I can do until I can get there to fix it. That is if Belmont will ever ACCEPT ME! (Pray for an acceptance letter in the mail...I'm dying here)

No comments: