Friday, January 8, 2010

College: The Best 7 Years of My Life

Ironically, when I bought that mug at the Great Escape in Nashville I was unaware of how relevant it would become to my life. The past week has been a whirlwind of changing mental and emotional tides. Fortunately, they have been positive thus far. When we ask God for a sign, as we often do because we don't trust ourselves to listen for only His voice, we have no idea what we are looking for. It is a definite case of "I'll know it when I see it." Monday night I set out for Nashville to be part of Textravaganza. But the Mini, as fabulous as it is, could not take snow and uphill motion combined. I turned around and headed home. The next night I arranged a nanny night. I enjoy stealing Reagan from her mother because I am second in Reagan's eyes only to her mommy. Thus, when you eliminate the mother, nanny becomes #1! Later that night I was sitting on the floor playing with Reagan when Tonja nonchalantly commented, "you should work in pediatric occupational therapy. That's what they do, get them to crawl thru tunnels and other fun games." At the time I was attempting to entice Reggae to crawl through a mesh hamper that the bottom had been cut out of and eventually I succeeded. (Because I am Nanny, obviously.) At the time I thought, "it wouldn't hurt to look up some info, but whatever." On our way home my mom voiced her agreement with the suggestion. Right then I realized that on our way to their house just a few hours earlier I had made the comment, "I think I would like Tonja's job if you didn't have to deal with mean old people." Sure enough, my OT aunt, changed my life. That may be slightly dramatic, but my thinking did change. Over the next few days I looked at photos, videos, read articles, and anything else that related to pediatric occupational therapy. I loved what I saw. In my education classes at App I've always been drawn to the courses on Special Education. Pediatric OT is bringing the most basic dreams of parents and children to fruition. I will spend my days playing games with children as small as infants to adolescents. Games that will enhance their everyday life. There is no room for complacency in therapy. The goal is change.
So as my coffee cup says, college will in fact be the best 7ish years of my life...until I go to work.

No comments: